Attack of Opportunity
An Attack of Opportunity (AoO) is a single extra melee attack that is automatically taken when an enemy makes themselves vulnerable, such as moving in combat (see also Tumble or Spring Attack) or casting a spell. Enemies can take Attacks of Opportunity against Player Characters as well.
Situations which provoke AoO:
- Drinking a potion
- Casting a spell
- Firing a ranged weapon in melee
- Non-combat movement while in melee
- An Attack of Opportunity is only taken for melee; a character using a ranged weapon will not take Attacks of Opportunity.
- Taking an Attack of Opportunity will cancel other actions, such as casting a spell. One way spellcasters can avoid them is to carry a ranged weapon, since AoOs are only taken for melee.
- The Mobility feat gives a character a +4 Dodge bonus to AC against Attacks of Opportunity.
- The Spring Attack feat prevents enemies from taking Attacks of Opportunity against the character.
- The Tumble skill gives the character a chance to avoid Attacks of Opportunity when moving in combat.