NWN Character Submission Questionnaire
Below is a guideline for preparing for your first and subsequent character submissions for Layonara on NWN.
Here is the stat block you can use to copy and paste if you wish to enter your character in the ideal format.
Name: Age: Class(es): Race: Subrace (if applicable): Alignment: Deity (if devoted): Domains (if cleric): Biography and Description:
- 1 Stats
- 2 Questionnaire
- 2.1 Character Name
- 2.2 Character Age
- 2.3 Character Class
- 2.4 Character Race
- 2.5 Character Subrace
- 2.6 Character Gender
- 2.7 Character Alignment
- 2.8 Deity Association
- 2.9 Cleric Domain
- 2.10 Character Birthplace
- 2.11 Character Biography
- 2.12 Extra Credit
- 2.13 Final Notes
- What is your character's name?
- First or last names as well as pseudonyms in any combination are suitable.
- This must be the same name as you use when creating your character in* game.
It's worth noting that we cannot allow names that fall under copyright anywhere. When you submit here you become a part of the living breathing world. If you desire, characters can be written into lore through various worthy efforts. As such they must be originals down to the name.
In the past we have allowed pun names but we would like to move away from that for the above stated reasons. If a character is given a name that is pun-y (I.E. Ima Lark) the reason for it should be justified in your biography for allowance. If you are going to go this route, definitely make it a true part of your character's roleplay and story.
- How old is your character at creation?
- Please refer to the allowable starting ages at Ages By Race.
When your character starts play, how old are they? Take into consideration the time of development both behind and ahead of the character. If you choose to play a much wizened (older) character, make sure the story you develop includes plenty of the character's life until the start of adventuring.
Our in game calendar can be accessed here to help you work out what dates you need.
Ages can vary between races. Make certain to check out the age ranges for your race of choice and make sure you select an age that is at least the age of maturity/adulthood. We don't allow child characters at this time.
Special note regarding human submissions: Even though a human reaches physical maturity (adulthood) around the age of fifteen (15), the youngest playable age is eighteen (18). Your character submission will not be approved until the character's starting age is eighteen or older.
- What is your characters class?
- If multi-classing, please indicate the desired split between the classes. Make certain there is a minimum of five (5) levels in each class before level twenty (20).
- First time players are allowed the following classes: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, Ranger, Sorcerer and Wizard.
Class is an important aspect of character creation on Neverwinter Nights, but remember that “class” is an OOC mechanic to give the skill set you want for your character's path. For a fully developed character, think beyond the rigid nature of stereotypes.
There are always key factors that go with skill sets such as: devotion of the greatest magnitude going along with divine classes, artistic ability with bards and magical inclination with mages. Perhaps the mage in question studies only at the behest of family and their real love is architecture. Perhaps the divinely inspired character carries a horrible secret kept between themselves and their deity, and perhaps the bard is forgetful. There as many ways to play a class as there are people in the world. Only you can bring that special twist that makes it unique.
All players that wish to play a druid must read and understand what it means to be a druid on Layonara. During the character submission a player must agree to the following at the end of their submission.
I understand and agree to the objectives of being a druid in Layonara. I understand and agree to the rules of achieving these objectives. I understand the internal organizational structure of the druids.
The multiclassing of druids is subject to a few restrictions, please see NWN Restricted Multiclassing if you plan on playing a druid.
Cleric, Paladin and Champion Submissions
Prestige Class Submission Requirements
- What is your character's race?
- Half-races must be born on or before the year 1421.
- Exotic race (Goblins, Orcs, Wemics, Brownies, Dark Elves, Sea Elves) submissions are restricted by limited time availability for applications.
- First time players can play the following races: Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Human and Gnome.
- If submitting a subrace, please ensure the biography fits the given lore for the race.
- Wemic, Brownie, Ghostwise Halflings, Sea Elf, Dark Elf or Goblin submissions will require substantial support as their basic circumstances of life differ greatly from the core races.
- First time players are not allowed a subrace at this time.
- Does your character present as male or female?
- What is your character's alignment?
- First time players are allowed the following alignments: CG, NG, LG, LN and TN.
Alignment gives a guide on how your character can and will react to situations, especially stressful situations. Do they always tend to act with compassion at heart? Do they tend more toward a diplomatic solution? Perhaps they have a dark personality and tend to reflect solely on personal gain. Layonara's alignments are based on the view point of the common person. For example most common people consider anything to do with poison (apart from curing it) to be evil. Make sure you look at your character from that view point and consider, what would the common person think of your character's actions? For more information on Layonara and character alignments see NWN Character Alignment Rules.
- Does your character favor one god over all the others?
- A character is not required to associate with one particular deity. In fact most people on Layonara pay homage to multiple gods, depending on the situation.
- There is ample evidence for the existence of gods so although atheism is virtually impossible, apathy to the gods is possible.
- If submitting a cleric, please note the Deity Domains you will select upon character creation.
- Please make certain you read over your chosen deity carefully as domains are restricted and in some cases have special rules.
- This section isn't something you need to worry about as a first time player as clerics are considered heavy lore classes.
- If appropriate, indicate where was your character born?
- If the character does not know, this is fine to skip or hint at as necessary.
- Please note that all submissions must originate on Layonara and not from other worlds, Pits or planes.
- Please refer to the map for ideas, but a general indication is also fine. Feel free to venture through our (ever expanding) write ups on locations for more information.
- This can take any form that you wish, and can include as much or as little detail as you desire. The primary purpose of the biography is to convey a sense of the character as well as the past events that affect their current situation.
- This can include information about the character's parents and siblings, a brief history of any training they received, a chronicle of the character's travels, even traumas or triumphs that helped make the character in to the person they are, physically, mentally and emotionally.
- A novel is not necessary, but the biography should give an idea of how the character ended up as the rare person who becomes an adventurer.
- There are a few things we do not allow for lore reasons. Characters may not:
- have direct ties to gods, dragons or royalty of any kingdom.
- have direct contact between themselves and a deity (this includes visions or dreams provided by a deity, a deity walking the lands and visiting the player or their ancestors, physical markings by a deity or an agent, or gifts provided by a deity, or anything of this nature). A character is welcome to believe what they like as long as the player can acknowledge the actuality of the circumstances.
- have apparent powers beyond that of a level one (1) character. This can be rather tricky with characters who are intended to have a level split but try to keep in mind power level when addressing level splits.
- An optional section can include anything else you want to describe about the character. (e.g. Height, Weight, etc..)
- Use this section to describe any unique or particular physical traits of your character.
- This can include the way they walk or talk, any scars or deformities, their hair and eye color, tattoos, or any objects that they obviously carry.
- This section should also reflect the character's physical attributes (strength, dexterity, constitution and charisma to some extent), as well as the choice of race.
- What is you character's personality?
- Are they friendly, private, quick of temper, thoughtful, etc...
- This section can help explain a character's alignment and mental attributes (intelligence, wisdom and charisma to some extent).
- It should also reflect the choice of race for the character.
If a character starts out with a story where by they might have received special treatment (extra money, influence from wealthy family lines etc) even if the story removes this, we need an OOC statement at the bottom of your application that states you acknowledge the character will receive no extra benefits. Please make sure your alignment statements are completed if necessary. Please make sure, for druids, clerics, paladins and certain PrCs, your commitment statements are completed. If the character suffers from a mental condition such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder (in description as these titles will not apply across the lore line) we have special considerations that the character approver will address with you.